Wednesday 5 November 2014

Sometimes I wonder... Am I creative or just mad?!


I've always been weird.  I've even blogged about it.  But sometimes I wonder why my brain chooses to work in such ridculously silly ways.

Take last week for example.  Last week, I went to one of my favourite places to just hang out and be silly with my friend Lizzie for a week - sunny Butlin's in Minehead.  There was a point where Lizzie and I had no immediate plans for the day and it was at this point that my mind took a random stroll down Insanity Avenue.  

Most people might have thought: "Hmm, maybe we'll go into town and get lunch somewhere."  Or perhaps: "Let's see what local tourist attractions there are that we could visit?"  Not me.  Oh no.  My mind immediately went: "WE SHOULD MAKE A FILM."

It kind of just got weirder from there, too.  For reasons even I can't explain, Lizzie and I reached the decision that said film should somehow merge Titanic and Donnie Darko into one movie.  And lo, Donna Titanico was born.

I admit, the Donnie Darko bit was probably due to there being a redcoat in Minehead who looks like Jake Gyllenhaal.  And maybe the Titanic bit came from Lizzie's "Heart of The Ocean" style necklace.  But one way or another, I found myself hastily scripting a plot involving a girl called Donna, who has serious psychological issues, who finds herself on board the Titanic, befriending a skeleton called Jank Dawson (SEE WHAT I DID THERE? FRANK, HAHAHAAAA LOL), who persuades her to sink the ship.  She then masters time travel (off screen, because I wasn't clever enough to work out how to film that bit...) and dies as "a young man, warm in your bed, when a jet engine crashes through your bedroom ceiling."

Frankly, I'm a weirdo.  I know this to be true.  But you know what?  I'm totally making another film when we go back for New Year.  Until then...  It's a cinematic masterpiece, guys.




I won't go on to say just how much I urge you all to embrace your own personal weirdness, because... Well, I've blogged about it already and the link is right there at the top of this post.  But I'm glad I'm odd.  It's taken me a few years to embrace my utter lack of cool and my general oddities, but now?  Yeah.  Weird is good.  Weird is fun.  And weirdos make the best films.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.